i like this post (click again to cancel)
i dont like this post (click again to cancel) remove favorite mark from this question (click again to restore mark)

Hello, I've been asked to solve a problem of assigning a positon of deuteration on a molecule, where structure of the deuteration product is unknown.

What experiments could help? Thanks.

asked Apr 30 '10 at 09:09

Evgeny%20Fadeev's gravatar image

Evgeny Fadeev

2 Answers:
i like this answer (click again to cancel)
i dont like this answer (click again to cancel)

The main part of the problem is the structure elucidation of the unknown, for which standard methods can be used; you then simply look to see which carbon resonance has a CD coupling instead of a CH. No need for C-D correlation, though that can be done fairly straightforwardly, see e.g. Peter Rinaldi's work. The lock coil on a standard probe can be used for 2H pulses, but caveat lector - the RF power must be kept low to avoid damage. We routinely use RF powers of a few watts on Varian probes with no ill effects, as do Varian.


answered May 13 '10 at 02:07

Gareth%20Morris's gravatar image

Gareth Morris

i like this answer (click again to cancel)
i dont like this answer (click again to cancel)

hsqc and hdqc experiments can be used to correlate 2H w/ 13C as discussed in: j. chem. phys. 2008 vol.128 p184501


answered May 17 '10 at 16:43

kiscs%20kiscs's gravatar image

kiscs kiscs

Your answer
Please start posting your answer anonymously - your answer will be saved within the current session and published after you log in or create a new account. Please try to give a good answer, for discussions, please use comments and please do remember to vote (login to vote)
toggle preview

powered by CNPROG